Frequently asked questions about charge scheduling
Charge point scheduling is a new feature, whereby home charge point owners can create charging sessions. This feature enables you to optimise your home charging by creating schedules that are both convenient and efficient for you. This can be created and managed in the Shell Recharge app.
The benefits of the charge scheduling feature are convenience and cost. By scheduling recurring sessions, you can easily fit recharging around your routine and lifestyle. It’s one less thing to remember and means you can plan your charging ahead of time. To really maximise this feature, work with your energy provider’s “off-peak” energy tariffs. Activate the charge session when demand on the grid is low and energy prices are less. This means it is possible to reduce your energy bill. And as it is managed all through the app, you can make changes remotely, wherever you are. This new feature makes your life easier, for less!
You can manually create a charge schedule in the Shell Recharge app:
- Set start time
- Set stop time
- Choose its frequency
Choose the time that is most convenient or cost-effective for you, and select how frequently you want it to occur.
No. You can only have one charge schedule per day. If you have more than one, the most recent input will overwrite the old session.
Go to the Shell Recharge app and set up a schedule through the home charge point section. The instructions in the app will guide you through. Once you click on the “add schedule” button, you will be asked what time you would like it to start and stop, and on what days you would like it to occur.
You need to disable the schedules and then start a session to start charging now.
If you already have a schedule on your charge point, this will be overwritten with the new schedule you have set in the app.
For a charge to take place, make sure both your charge point and car have an “open” state.
For example, if a car is plugged into the charge point and wants to begin the charge, but the charge point does not fall into a scheduled window, the car will not start charging. This applies the other way too. At any given time, if the charge point enters the schedule window, but the car is not ready to consume energy i.e. it does not have a schedule programmed, then the charging will not happen.
If you plug in or start a session after the scheduled start time but during the session window, your car will charge as per the charge schedule. If you plug in or start a session after the entire charge window has elapsed, it will bypass that charge session and resume the schedule for the next day.
Your charge point has scheduling enabled already. Access Schedules from the home page of your charge point. For a schedule to kick in, you need to ensure the cable is plugged in to the car. You must also check your charge point session mode is set to swipe card. Either start in the app or swipe your charge card on the charge point.
If you go to the “Charge point” section of the app, you will see the schedule feature. Please set a schedule that is convenient for you.
When onboarding a new charge point for the first time, you will be prompted to accept our new default smart charge schedules. This is part of the new UK smart charging regulations, to take advantage of times when the demand on the grid is low. If you accept this, it will enable our preset “off-peak” charge times. You can still amend and edit this in the “my charge point section” of the shell recharge app.
A session starts when a user plugs his car to the charge point. The energy consumption for that session will happen within the scheduled time
Shell Recharge customers with the following charge points can make use of the new feature:
- Home Advanced 2.0 (2018)
- Home Advanced 2.1 (2019)
- Home Advanced 2.2 (2020)
- Advanced (2021)
1. During a schedule. If a charge point goes into an offline status, it will continue to charge until the user stops the session or car is fully charged
2. Outside of a schedule. If a charge point goes into an offline status, the schedule will not take place until the charge point is back online.
If your schedule doesnt work check the following
- Check if your chargepoint is on AutoCharge mode
- Check your Charge point is online, you should see the status as Available on the app
- Make sure to unplug both the cable from the car and the charge point
- Led light should go off from the charge point
- Make sure to set your schedule with upcoming time (i.e. at least a couple of minutes before the time)
- Make sure the cable is plugged into the charge point.
- LED light should become yellow, and the Shell Recharge app screen should now be visible.
- Either plug your vehicle in or "Tap here" on the app screen to start charging
- If your charge point session start mode is “swipe charge card” make sure you have either tapped in the app or swiped your charge card on the charge point for the session to begin.